an amateur writer, photographer, and designer; a sleeper, a reader, a walker, a liver (not in the organ-sense).
loves: fruit, witty remarks, music, dwarf tulips, light sage green, and watching the sky.
can't survive without: water, sunshine, love, my family & friends.
My last graduate lecture is today at 3pm, because I am a terrible student / poor traveler and am missing the last two days of term. I’m not sure where the last five weeks went - I guess that’s what happens when you don’t keep up with blogs. So here goes from memory (with a bit of help from my calendar).
- Climbing Magdalen Tower on my first afternoon back, seeing Oxford in all of its flooded beauty
- Magdalen Formal Hall with Jen Fan
- A week of daily meetings with ISIS creative team, endless frustration, lack of patience, and eroding professionality
- SOJO and getting to share exciting news
- A first of many terrible tutorials
- Balletboyz - what an incredible show.
- French toast and strawberry smoothies at Spencer and Jenn’s
- Blustering walks around very flooded Christ Church Meadows
- (mildly frustrating / amusing) Science and Faith lectures at Magdalen
- Passing on my limited med-school-knowledge to the poor souls who have to undergo this torture next year
- Dinner at Nina and Jonathan’s (Risotto and delicious cookie sandwiches)
- Oxford Revue Show
- Dinner at Yeti Nepalese
- Some UN important guy
- Oxford Imps reunion show (amazing)
- Valentines day cooking
- Chiang Mai birthday afternoon meals
- Birthday celebrations and riddle guessing at My Sichuan
- Oxford Wine Cafe & Sunday Jazz night
- Formal Hall at Hertford
- At Thai double dates
- ISIS launch party
- Exam panels after which everyone starts being stressed and I stop caring
- Dublin weekend - Killiney, Glendalough, Guiness Factory, a lovely brunch, wandering around Trinity, an Irish Evensong, and early buses and flights
- Birthday celebrations at 4500 miles from Delhi, Turf, and encouraging people to steal napkins
- Long walks around a non-flooded Christ Church meadows
- Fancy breakfasts in my humble kitchen (caramel success)
- Bach rehearsals in master’s lodgings
- Dinner at Edamame, long conversations in TSK
- Lunch with Richard at Vaults & Gardens
- More negative tutorials
- OUSE concert in Christ Church, with the kindness of all of my peers
- London train mishaps
- L’s beautiful apartment near Regent’s park
- Lunch at the Grain Store
- Wandering around Hyde Park and Marble Arch with K
- Shopping at MUJI
- An incredible dinner at Maze by Gordon Ramsay
- Late night Comedy Store stand-up show with S & A
- Early morning returns to Oxford
- Dinner parties in Jowett (Roasted cauliflower soup, beet/orange/arugula salad, mac & cheese, and apple tarts)
- Sticky Toffee Pudding at TSK
- Signs of spring in University Parks
- Staging at Balliol kitchen
- Debates about public health interventions
- Dinner at SOJO with R & A
- Discussions on Health Reform at the Blavatnik school
- Risotto night at Jowett with M & A (and ensuing Tindr hilarity)
- Paris trip planning
- Balliol Music Society concert // Bach Double // first time I’ve performed in a non-orchestral setting in a very long time
- Alpha bar long lines and lunches
- Long afternoons in Rad Cam
All that’s left is packing, a final tutorial, a couple assignments, and the Gargoyles concert before they leave for their HK/Macau tour. When I write it all out, I guess there’s been a lot. As I try to remind myself, it’s all in my mentality - you determine the life you want to lead.
Here’s to a wonderful four weeks with family, then revisions. Trinity, I’ve heard so many wonderful things about you; let’s do it right.
I’m not 40, and this is what keeps me up at night.
Rainer Maria Rilke